Here is an approach to addiction recovery that is truly unique. SMART Recovery is a powerful and very effective approach to addiction treatment. SMART Recovery (it stands for Self Management and Recovery Training) is actually a relatively new and incredibly successful method of drug and alcohol addiction recovery that has taken the nation by storm in the last decade or so. This method came not a moment too soon as the United States is now experiencing what is by far the worst addiction crisis that it has ever experienced before. For some of the key points of SMART Recovery:
- SMART Recovery is an internationally acclaimed, well respected, and non-profit organization of addiction recovery and sobriety which provides assistance to individuals who are seeking abstinence from addictive behaviors and from substance abuse in general and on a permanent scale. The approach that is the embodiment of SMART Recovery is a very secular and scientifically based type of approach that is based off of research and discovery only.
- SMART Recovery embodies a method that is quite popular and appreciated with those who it is used on. SMART Recovery uses a non-confrontational, motivational, impassioned, behavioral, and cognitive method. There are a lot of different aspects to the SMART Recovery program and, like many other rehab techniques, it contains many different methodologies and sub-techniques that all add to make a very complex but useful and successful rehab program and approach. People who participate in SMART Recovery meetings whether at an inpatient rehab program or at an outpatient center ultimately learn different recovery methods that are all derived from evidence-based addiction treatments and approach methods.
- The basic power behind SMART Recovery is that it seeks to assist each and every individual involved in it to find the key, underlying issues that caused them to pursue drugs and alcohol in the first place. This is thought of to be the breakthrough that any recovering addict can experience, and finding it is the goal of SMART Recovery. SMART Recovery embodies a multitude of different techniques and programs that all have as their basic, underlying intention the recovery and the abstinence of the individual from drug and alcohol addiction.
- SMART Recovery is based on scientific knowledge and empirical data, nothing else. People who participate in SMART Recovery tend to not be specifically interested in doing a religious rehab approach, (SMART Recovery is a secular approach after all). However, many people of many different faiths can go to a SMART Recovery rehab or a SMART Recovery group or aftercare organization and still get great benefits from it. Ultimately though, this is a very practical and hands on approach to addiction treatment.
Getting the True Data Known About Addiction
SMART Recovery is a very factual, calculating, scientific approach to addiction rehabilitation that is based off of actual research, survey, discovery, examination, and study. For all intents and purposes the intention and the basic, forward drive behind this article really is to just merely make an attempt at raising one’s awareness on the overall, major issue of the fact that there really is a very real drug and alcohol addiction epidemic in the nation today and there has been for almost two decades now realistically. This article is trying to shed light on the real problems of the nation that we as citizens struggle with today as a result of drug and alcohol addiction.
To aide us and others in ours and others’ quest to inform the populace of the crisis that is addiction in the nation today, we have examined the study results of many organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and the Trust for American Health (TAH). These groups and more worked diligently over the last few years to study the nation’s addiction epidemic. They have provided the statistical data and cruel yet very, very true evidence on this very real crisis and problem for all to see and bear witness to so that something can be done about it and so that awareness is raised on these issues. For example:
- Between the years of 2002 and 2010, the number of persons with substance use disorders was stable, but from 2010 to 2015 it jumped up quite higher. About 25.1 million persons aged 12 or older needed treatment for an alcohol or substance use disorder in 2015. Of these, only 2.6 million people received treatment at a specialized addiction facility for addiction. SMART Recovery is designed to address any addict who suffers with any addiction, making this approach all the more valuable nowadays.
- According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) National Survey on Drug use and Health (NSDUH) 23.5 million people 12 years of age and older needed treatment for an illicit drug or alcohol abuse problem in the year of 2009. Of these individuals, only about 2.6 million, or 11.2 percent of them, received treatment at a specialty facility for their addiction crisis. With SMART Recovery in place though in inpatient and outpatient centers both, more people can gain access to this recovery method and can benefit from it.
- Increasing drug and alcohol abuse is a dangerous trend in the United States that has been going on consistently for quite some time. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) nearly 2.1 million hospital Emergency Department visits in 2009 were the result of drug abuse alone, and over eighty-thousand died in that same year from substance abuse.
- Alcoholism and alcohol abuse are among the most common, devastating, and costly problems in the United States by far. In fact, recent studies have shown that approximately 53 percent of adults in the United States have reported that one or more of their close relatives has a drinking problem, making this a truly relevant and expansive issue to say the least.
A Chance at Complete Abstinence with SMART Recovery
Drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in general is a deadly and dangerous occurrence for anyone who suffers with it. That is a true statement, make no mistake about it. There are so many different approaches to addiction treatment, and the fact is that none of them are bad or unworkable. They all have their own benefits and workable aspects of them. SMART Recovery is very beneficial approach and it works for a lot of people who try it on for size.
The best way to approach an addiction crisis is to try multiple different approaches. In fact, the rehab programs that have the best results and do the best job are the ones that tend to offer the widest range of different counseling methods and services. With this method, such a rehab is able to offer a multitude of different services and really help their clients to cover addiction from many different angles. This is why now more than ever many different rehab programs have included SMART Recovery as a part of their treatment programs.